Welcome to my website
A native from Cuba, Ivette Herryman Rodríguez holds a B.M in Music Composition from the Instituto Superior de Artes, in Havana, a M.M in Music Composition from Baylor University, and a M.M in Music Theory and D.M.A in Music Composition from Michigan State University. She studied composition with Juan Piñera, Scott McAllister, Ricardo Lorenz, and Zhou Tian.
Ivette’s music has been described as “absolutely exquisite” and “breathtakingly beautiful” (Kevin Noe-Artistic Director of the Pittsburgh New Music Ensemble and Director of Orchestras and Professor of Conducting at the UMKC Conservatory of Music). She is the composer of a bestseller piece for women’s choir, and the winner, among other awards, of a Cubadisco Special Award, a Chamber Music America grant, and a Brandon Fradd Fellowship in Music Composition.
Ivette’s most recent commissions include new works for HAVEN Trio, All-State Florida Symphony Orchestra, and ConTempus Quartet. Recent prominent performances of her music include the performances of her Danzón a mi manera by the Youth Orchestra of LA (YOLA) and the LA Philharmonic at Walt Disney Concert Hall and the Hollywood Bowl respectively, under conductor Gustavo Dudamel.
Currently, she is Assistant Professor of Theory and Composition at the Crane School of Music at SUNY Potsdam.
To learn more about a piece, please click on its title.
• Siruin in the Air (violin) 6’. Dedicated to Niuris Naranjo Dorta, – 2022
• Let’s talk Cuba (for Piano solo) 7:30′ – 2019
• Sympathetic Tones (Trombone and Sustain Pedal) 8:00′, 2019
• On the Inside (Viola and Loop Pedal) 6:34’, 2016
• Son para Luis y Mara (Viola) 3:25’, 2016
• Dúo para un solista-A Duet for a Soloist (Bass Clarinet) 6:40’, 2016
• Los musiniños encuentran un tesoro (5 solo works for Guitar, Violin, Cello, Piano, and Prepared Piano) 15’, 2009
•El libro de los musiniños, part I (Piano solo) 12’, 2005
•Sutiles (Piano solo) 4′, 2003
• Sonhos reconstruídos (Trumpet in Bb and Viola), 5:50’, 2020
• Convergencias (Tenor Saxophone and Piano version) 14’, 2017
• Black montuno (Clarinet in Bb and Piano version) 12:45’, 2015
• Three Dances for Bassoon and Piano: Tanxibanera, Habanxixango, and Mabanxixera (Bassoon and Piano) 9’, 2015
• Texeando (Alto Saxophone and Piano) 12:20’, 2012
• El libro de los musiniños, part II (Two Pianos) 8’, 2005
• String Quartet No. 1 10′ – 2023
• Let’s Talk Cuba (Arrangement for Saxophone Quartet) 7:37′ – 2020
• Convergencias, rapsodia concertante (Tenor Saxophone, Percussion, Piano, String Quintet) 15′, 2017
• By the Rhythm of Your Truth, Set Us Free (Flute, Bassoon, Violin, Cello, Marimba) 6:50’, 2016
• Fun-fare (7 Trumpets in Bb) 3’, 2015
• Sol de las Esperanzas (Baritone Voice, Soprano Saxophone, Harp, Percussion, String Quintet) 7:48’, 2015
• Advent Overture (Oboe, Piano, Strings) 3:12’, 2012
• Ofrenda (Trumpet, Double Bass, Piano, Drums) 3:10’, 2005
• Voices of the Soul (Voces del alma) (Mezzo-soprano and Orchestra) 15’, 2013
• Cerca del Río (Zarzuela for 6 soloists, Choir, and Orchestra) 55’, 2006
• Electroescenas 4’, 2003
• Hijo de Tigre (Short film). Directed by Federico Naguil, 2004
• El Dorado (Documentary). Directed by Ozren Milharcic, 2005
• Respira (Short film). Directed by Gustavo Torres Riffo, 2007
• El último de los Forajidos (Short film). Directed by Gustavo Torres Riffo, 2008
• Los Desplazados (Short film). Directed by Gustavo Torres Riffo, 2009
• Benediction Song, 2018
• Wait and See, 2015
• Canción de adviento, 2012
• Salvo por segunda vez, 2012
• Yo sé, 2012
• Venimos a la casa de Dios, 2011
• Bendita navidad, 2010
• Canción de la abuela, 2010
• Madre, 2010
• En quién confiar, 2008
• Padre amoroso, 2008
• Canción de la mujer, 2006
• Dime alma mía, 2005
• Yo dependo de Él, 2001
• Glorioso día aquel, 2000
Listen and Watch
My piece Memorial for soprano, cello and piano is featured in the new CD, Sonidos Cubanos 2, released by Neuma Records and produced by composer Orlando Jacinto García.
To listen and learn more about the CD, please follow this link
DE OTRO MUNDO
Three songs for soprano voice, clarinet in Bb and piano
This commission has been made possible by the Chamber Music America Classical Commissioning Program, with generous funding provided by The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
Siruin in the Air by Ivette Herryman Rodriguez
Performed by Tiani Butts (violin)
Edited by Stephanie M. Neumann
Videography by Galle Studios
This performance was originally recorded on April 15, 2022 by Galle Studios and premiered online on June 1, 2022, as part of the Virtual Artist Partnerships Program (VAPP 2021-22) by the Gabriela Lena Frank Creative Academy of Music. Special thanks to Harumi Rhodes and Ed Dusinberre for allowing this recording to take place in their lovely home!
This post is sort of a journal with sound, intended to record my work as I compose new pieces of music. My idea is to post recordings that reflect the end of each day of work, along with some text about what I have achieved in such day. The recordings will explain through sound what […]